Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Meditation

The best way to overcome depression is not to try to overcome depression. The paradox of trying to change ourselves means that we end up subconsciously reaffirming to ourselves that there is something wrong with us. Overcoming this cycle is very important, but not easy. Meditation gives us the opportunity to do this, or at least practice this each day.

Meditation isn't about visualizing, it isn't about imagining a better life, its not even about thinking positive thoughts. Its about becoming present with your own version of reality. Its about learning about who you are, and in the process, accept yourself. Basically meditation is a way of life, its something that affects us subtly and gradually over time. Its not just a solution to a problem we have. I would recommend its practice to anyone and everyone, whether they struggle with depression or not, whether they are 5 years old or 90 years old.

I remember when I first began meditation. It was at a time when I was really struggling with depression and life. I had sought out just about every alternative that I could think of, and i didn't want to go on medication. A lot of different things came up when i was trying to meditate. Things like, I thought i wasn't doing it good enough, there was something wrong with me, i'll never get there, its a waste of time. To be honest it is pretty amazing that I stuck with it. All of these thoughts, are natural, and they are essential to finding out who you are right now. I remember have a good friend who would remind me everytime I would feel down or indulge in these sorts of thoughts and feelings, she would just say "just observe it". That statement in itself pretty much sums up meditation.


Having done a million and one different types of meditations, the meditation that I believe that you will only ever need, though I recommend that you try whatever you feel drawn to, is the one that I will give you now. It is really simple, but it is not easy. If you stick with it, the rewards will come.

  1. Sit down on a chair or cross legged on the floor. You may wish to place a cushion under your buttox in order to allow you to sit cross legged for a longer period of time. Keep you back and spine straight.
  2. Place your hands either palms facing up on your knees, or right hand upon your left in your lap if you are a male or left hand on top of your right if you are a female.
  3. Place your gaze approximately 4 to 6 feet in front of you. Keep your eyes open at all times.
  4. Now place a 'light and gentle' attention on your out breath. Try not to manipulate your out breath. When you notice that your thoughts begin to wander or you are fantasizing about something, don't be harsh with yourself. Just simply say 'thinking' to yourself, and place your attention on your outbreath again.

    If you would like a more detailed explanation of this meditation simply grab a copy of Pema Chodron's 'When things fall apart'.

    Let me know how you go. :)

No comments:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Nelson Mandela